A course on Iodine and Thyroid
Majid Ali, M.D.
Iodine is the essential nutrient for the thyroid gland. Many patients with thyroid disorders – with overactive or sluggish thyroid function – cannot be optimally managed without needed iodine supplementation.
I do not prescribe iodine supplementation without 24-hour urinary iodine excretion test. The skin iodine rub test does not give precise quantitative information about the body’s iodine status. So I do not use it.
I have seen three cases of iodine toxicity created by blind, heavy, and prolonged iodine therapy. Two of them developed hyperthyroidism (overactive gland) and the third had hypothyroidism. All three showed massive iodine overload by 24-hour urinary iodine test.
So, please beware of iodine toxicity caused by unmonitored iodine therapy.
There is a spreading pandemic of thyroid disorders. It has three primary causes:
- Toxic environments
- Toxic foods
- Toxic thoughts
The trio of toxicities of environments, foods, and thoughts inflicts cellular injury by causing:
- Excess acidity
- Incremental free radical stress
- Thickening of the bodily fluids which impairs circulation of the fluids
Think Mold, Mold, Mold
As for environmental causes of thyroid disorders, we should think about mold allergy and mold toxins. Viruses, bacteria, and parasites play only secondary roles. Next to mold-related elements, the important thyrotoxic substances are synthetic chemicals with strong structural similarities.
Sources of Errors
The first clinical consequence of thyroid disorders—associated with overactivity or decreased functionality—is the absence of health. Other crucial things to remember about thyroid dysfunctions are:
1. People continue to suffer from subtle (suboptimal) thyroid function because their thyroid test results are wrongfully considered normal.
2. Doctors do not learn that the single best way to evaluate the thyroid function of unwell individuals is therapeutic trial of low-dose natural thyroid supplement by experienced clinicians.
3. People with thyroid disorders are mismanaged because proper iodine tests are not performed.
4. People with diagnosed thyroid disorders are mismanaged because the thyroid-adrenal-pancreas inter-relationships are ignored.
5. People with diagnosed thyroid disorders are mismanaged because the disruptions of the bowel, blood, and liver ecosystems are ignored.
6. The role of subclinically sluggish thyroid gland in weight gain and obesity goes unrecognized.
7. Doctors do not recognize that many overweight people benefit from a trial of low-dose natural thyroid supplement by experienced clinicians.
8. People are not empty tin dolls and the thyroid hormones are not marbles rattling in their bodies. Most unwell people do not have doctors who can think and act like gardeners.
9. The health of most people with underactive thyroid can be restored with natural thyroid supplements, iodine when its deficiency exists, and robust nutrient and detox therapies.
10. Low body temperature is often treated with increasing doses of thyroid medications without considering other causes of temperature dysregulation, such as autonomic and adrenal dysfunctions. (See our article: Remedies for Cold Hands and Feet)
The above are the disturbing truths about the thyroid gland which my patients have taught me, who are my truest teachers. I will offer further comments about these points in other segments of this series on thyroid disorders.
In my writings, I strive hard not to subordinate ethics to ideology. Ethics, simply stated, is the study of the consequences of one’s action on others. Ethics is also the study of the consequences of one’s inaction on others when action is needed. Ethics in medical education demand that the information presented must not be compromised by any ideological or financial considerations. I offer guidelines for managing chronic and intractable thyroid dysfunction in companion articles on this web site.
Thyroid Disease Seminar $25 suggested donation
This is 4 hours of discussion Part 1 Thyroid diseases Part 2 Hashimotos disease. These are extended video discussions that download onto your favorite device.