Majid Ali, M.D.
In the matters of air pollution, foxes have been guarding the chicken. The primary purpose of the government agencies has been to quell public’s legitimate concerns with brazen distortion of scientific facts concerning disease-causing pollutants in indoor and outdoor air..These are strong statement and I marshaled evidence of this view in a large series of previous publications. I wrote September Eleven, 2005 (2002), a book of predictions penned in a fictionalized past tense, to present a broader perspective on the subject. I include two quotes at the end of this article to give readers a sense of how large is the problem of official distortions.
In this brief article, I offer basic information about particulate pollutants in the air and give my personal preference of types of air filters. Following is some basic information about particle air pollutants that informs the choice of air filters.
* Airt particle pollution is a very serious risk to health.
* Fine atmospheric particles are the most dangerous with lethal delayed consequences—an estimated 50,000 Americans (by official report) die of heart and lung disease caused by them. This is a gross underestimation.
* The dangers of fine particles—smaller than one-thirtieth of the diameter of a human hair—were linked to human disease more than 20 years.
* Secondary organic aerosols, a subset of fine aerosols particles, has been recently recognized to have a greater total mass and being more dangerous.
* HEPA filters are the most widely used air filters. The term stands for high-efficiency particulate air. is a type of air filter. The efficiency standard established by the U.S. Dept. Of Energy (DOE) requires a HEPA air filter must remove 99.97% of all particles greater than 0.3 micrometer from the air that passes through. HEPA filters are supposed to superior to the unqualified filters. However, there are also interior classifications and specific grades.
* Technology Used by NASA includes not only carbon filters but also ultraviolet germicidal components. Some brands offer Washable Hepa. Some units have blade-like components that are easily pulled out and wiped.
I personally use an air filter that combines carbon and ultraviolet ionic filter. I do not recommend any specific brand of air filters.